Finding Professional Support
In this episode, Marnie and Duane discuss the unique and often challenging process of finding the “right” help in the aftermath of betrayal. They stress the importance of a collaborative and systems-focused approach to relational helping and address the potential pitfalls of using a non-relational model, including further trauma.
10 questions to ask a potential therapist/coach when healing from betrayal trauma.
- How do you work with couples, partners, and individuals who are struggling with betrayal trauma?
- What experience do you have in working with couples, partners, or individuals that are struggling with sex addiction and/or betrayal trauma?
- How would you approach collaborating with other therapists that we may want to work with?
- What is your perspective on therapeutic disclosure?
- Do you facilitate therapeutic disclosures? If so, how much experience do you have?
- If you endorse and facilitate disclosures, what is your perspective on using a polygraph?
- How do you know when therapy is not working and how do you address it with your clients?
- What is your perspective about 12-step programs?
- How do you work with trauma overall?
- Are you familiar with treatment-induced-trauma as it relates to betrayal trauma?